Updated Tuesday 09-4-2018 06:43pm
What’s happening at SHPS:
Southern Highlands Preparatory School students love their math! Last year, we rocked the First in Math leaderboards in the State of Nevada and in the Nobel School System! As a school, we had 36 students who reached the highest level, Grand Champion! Throughout the year, students earn stickers and recognition as they work their way through games and challenges to improve their math skills.
SHPS has a robotics team that is part of First Lego League. Students build the Lego pieces of the competition board and the robot, create attachments, and program the robot to complete certain tasks. Students also research the year’s topic and complete a project with an innovative solution to solve a related problem. It’s a lot of hard work, but one of Lego League’s Core Values is TO HAVE FUN!
Competitive Math elective is offered to middle school students who want to explore more advanced math concepts and put their math skills to the test against the best matheletes in the school, in the county, and in the state. Competitive Math students compete in various competitions, including MathCounts and Math League. Our first competition is in November.
Service Learning is another middle school elective in which student assistants are paired with elementary teachers and their classes to provide weekly help in the classroom.
- Alma – Log on for grades, attendance information, homework, and links to teacher email
- First in Math – Log on to practice math skills and have fun!
- Pearson Math Textbooks – Online access to middle school mathematics textbooks
- One-to-One iPad use in the classroom – Students use iPads for research, to make high quality newsletters and brochures, to create professional KeyNote presentations, to connect with classmates and other students around the country, to create iMovies to advertise products, and much more!
- Yay Math! – Videos of Algebra and Geometry topics for 8th grade reinforcement and enrichment